FIXATE WEEK: VEGAN ORANGE CHERRY MUFFINS
These muffins hit the sweet spot for me…I love the combo of orange and cherry together. SO yummy!
SERVES: 12 (1 muffin each)
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cooking Time: 20 min.
CONTAINER EQUIVALENTS (per serving):
PURPLE – ½
YELLOW – 1
BLUE – ½
OILS – 1½
Nonstick cooking spray
1½ cups all-purpose gluten-free flour, sifted
½ cup almond flour, sifted
2 tsp. baking powder
½ cup chopped raw walnuts
1 tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
¼ cup extra-virgin organic coconut oil
2 Tbsp. all-natural peanut butter
¾ cup pure maple syrup (preferably Grade B)
1 Tbsp. finely grated orange peel (orange zest)
¾ cup fresh orange juice (approx. 1 to 2 medium oranges)
2 tsp. ground flaxseed
1 cup thickly sliced banana, very ripe (approx. 1 large banana)
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
½ cup chopped fresh cherries
1. Preheat oven to 375º F.
2. Prepare 12 muffin cups by lining with muffin papers and lightly coating with spray.
3. Combine flour, almond flour, baking powder, walnuts, and salt in a large mixing bowl; mix well. Set aside.
4. Place oil, peanut butter, maple syrup, orange peel, orange juice, ground flaxseed, banana, and extract in blender; cover. Blend until smooth; approx. 30 seconds.
5. Add peanut butter mixture to flour mixture; mix until just moistened. Do not overmix.
6. Add cherries; fold until just mixed.
7. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. (One-quarter cup batter should fill each cup about three-quarters full.)
8. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
9. Remove from oven; allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes before removing muffins from pan and cooling completely on a rack. Enjoy!
• Not all brands of all-purpose gluten-free flour are vegan, so be sure to check the label.
• Grade B maple syrup has a very strong, intense flavor that can be similar to molasses, and is perfect for baking
1 banana, large, very ripe
6 oz. cherries, fresh
1 to 2 oranges, medium
1 bag ground flaxseed
1 bag walnuts, raw, chopped
1 jar all-natural peanut butter
1 bag all-purpose flour, gluten-free
1 bag almond flour
1 can baking powder
1 bottle extra-virgin organic coconut oil
1 bottle maple syrup, Grade B
1 jar sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
1 bottle pure vanilla extract
1 can nonstick cooking spray
Nutella Inspired Smoothie Bowl
If the following three words mean anything to you, then this recipe may not require further explanation: bowl of Nutella.
OK, so this chocolate hazelnut smoothie bowl doesn’t actually contain Nutella, but the combination of chocolate and hazelnuts comes pretty close. If you’re unfamiliar with Nutella, it’s an Italian chocolate-hazelnut spread that’s taken America by storm. It can be slathered on toast, combined with bananas in a crepe, or squeezed onto your froyo when you’re having a “me” day. It’s amazing, and very high in sugar.
Our healthful interpretation of the chocolate-hazelnut delight contains much less sugar and is higher in protein, making it a nutritious meal that tastes more like a cheat treat than a fiber-packed power bowl.
This Chocolate Hazelnut Smoothie Bowl is as simple to make as a normal glass of Shakeology; just throw it all in a blender and watch it whirl. However, it offers a thicker consistency — perfect for enjoying with a spoon. Plus, it’s garnished with shredded coconut and chopped dark chocolate for texture and sweetness, along with a sprinkling of sesame to add savory balance. It’s hard to believe this chocolate hazelnut smoothie bowl is actually good for you, but believe it! Miracles do happen.
Tip: The higher the percentage of cacao in chocolate, the better. Look for chocolate that is at least 70 percent cacao or higher.
Chocolate Hazelnut Smoothie Bowl
Total Time: 10 min.
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cooking Time: None
Yield: 1 serving
¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
1 scoop Chocolate Shakeology
2 Tbsp. chopped raw hazelnuts
1 cup ice
1½ tsp. unsweetened shredded coconut
1½ tsp. sesame seeds
1 Tbsp. chopped dark chocolate
1. Place almond milk, Shakeology, hazelnuts, and ice in blender; cover. Blend until smooth.
2. Place smoothie in a medium bowl. Top with coconut, sesame seeds, and chocolate; serve immediately.
Recipe Adapted from: Beachbody Blog